Riccardo Manzotti's CV
Education and research activity
- 2014 Habilitation as Associate Professor in Theoretical Philosophy
- 2013-14 Fulbright Visiting Scholar at MIT, Department of Linguistic and Philosophy
- Since 2004, Assistant Professor in Psychology, IULM University, Milan
- 2000-2004 Research associate in robotics, DIST, Department of Computer Science and Bioengineering, University of Genoa, Italy
- PhD in Robotics finished on December 2000. University of Genoa. Final thesis “Intentional robots”.
- Degree in Philosophy, final mark 110/110 “magna cum laude” (2004), faculty of Philosophy, University of Genova. Final thesis “Intentionality: From Brentano to Teleofunctionalism”
- MASTER MIP (Polytechnic of Milan) in Production and Control Engineering 1995/1996, with special mention, Consortium MIP, Polytechnic of Milan, 1996.
- Degree in Electronic Engineering, final mark 110/110 "magna cum laude" (1994), faculty of Electronic Engineering, University of Genova. Final project: "Control of an anthropomorphic vision system".
- High school leaving examination, final marks 60/60 (1988) in "E.Fermi" di Borgo Val di Taro.
- 2013, Associate Editor of International Journal of Artificial Consciousness
- 2008 Co-Editor of a special issue on «AI and Consciousness” of Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Medicine.
- 2008 Co-Editor of a special issue on “Cognitive Science and Consciousness” on Sistemi Intelligenti.
- 2007 Winner of ESF - Young Researchers Forum «Humanities Spring”, with «Disciplines and Borders: Humanities research in an age of interdisciplinarity», Lisbon.
- 01/2006-2007 member of the CONTACT project – ESF.
- 09-11/2003 CNR-NATO winner of a grant in Motor Learning and Biorobotics Laboratory – Northwestern University – Chicago, Illinois
- 10/2003 Invited plenary lecture University Sao Paulo of Brasil
- 20/2003 Brown Bag Lecture, AI Lab, University of Zurich, “On building a conscious machine”
- 09/2002 Winner of the ‘Patron’ price assigned during the School of Bioengineering held in Bressanone (Italy), 16-21/9/2002.
- 09/2002 – 09/2005 Key person of ADAPT project.
- 05/2002 Main proposer of ADAPT (Artificial Development Approach to Presence Technologies), a project part of the PRESENCE, a FET Proactive Initiative, Information Society Technologies Programme (IST). Proposal/Contract no.: IST-2001-37173.
- 04/2002 Winner of a MURST grant (nota ministeriale 1707, "Progetto Giovani Ricercatori”) to develop a research with the title “Realizzazione di un esperimento mirato alla misura di comportamenti coscienti in un robot (Implementation and design of an experiment to measure conscious behaviors in a robot)”
- 08/1993 - 04/1994 Trinity College, Dublin. COMETT project: "From coarse to fine granularity: a parallel approach to computer vision".
- December 2008, Invited symposium at the APA 2008 Eastern Meeting, by the Society for Machines and Mentality on “Theoretical foundations of Machine Consciousness”
- May 2008, Invited Lecture at the II Science and Art Symposium (2008), Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis (Porto) on “Cognitive Processes and aesthetic experience”
- February 2007, Brown Bag Lecture at the AI-Lab, Department of Informatics, University of Zurich on «Externalist approaches to the conscious mind»
- January 2007, Invited lecture on «Approcci esternalisti allo studio della coscienza» presso l’Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie Cognitive del CNR di Roma.
- November 2005, Co-organizers of the «International Workshop on Artificial Consciousness» (IWAC 2005), University of Palermo, Computer Science Department.
- August 2005 , Open Plenary Session del TSC 2005 (Towards a Science of Consciousness), Copenhagen.
- June 2004 , Invited lecture on “An outline of an alternative view of representation and conscious perception” at the “Laboratory of Neurology Festival of Consciousness”, Institute of Neurology, Wellcome Department of Cognitive Neurology, University College London.
- December 2003, Invited lecture on “The mind and the rainbow: a model for consciousness” at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University, Chicago.
- September 2003 Invited lecture on “A process based architecture for artificial consciousness: from ontogenesis to phenomenal experience” at Models of Consciousness. In Search for a Unified Theory, University of Birmingham, Birmingham (UK), settembre 2003.
- August 2003 , Invited lecture on “Robots and intentionality” at the V EBICC, Encontro Brasileiro – Internacional de Ciência Cognitiva, Sociedade Brasilieira de Ciência Cognitiva – Campus Marília, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Faculdade de Filosofia e Ciências.
- February 2003, Brown Bag Lecture on “The ontogenesis of consciousness” at the AI-Lab, Department of Informatics, University of Zurich.
- March 2002, Invited lecture on “A process based approach to intentionality” at the Laboratoire de Psychologie Expérimentale, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Université René Descartes, Paris, France.